LEARNING AT ACTON
At Acton Academy we lay the foundation for the joy of learning as we encourage our young heroes to find their life’s calling and tap into their unique genius. Our well-balanced educational experience ignites curiosity, creativity, and the ability to ask good questions. We believe each of our students will find a passion — something they love and have a gift to do – finding and pursuing this gift we call the Hero’s Journey. Our mission is to equip our students with the skills and tools they will need to find and pursue their life’s purpose. We inspire our young people to develop independent thinking, strong friendships, leadership skills, and pursue their work with integrity.
Learn to Do
Hands-on learning for Science, Entrepreneurship and the Arts prepare children for Apprenticeships and real world challenges.
Learn to Learn
Socratic Discussions and self-paced challenges equip children to be independent lifelong learners.
Learn to BE
The Hero’s Journey, relational covenants and real world consequences transform difficult decisions into virtuous habits.
21ST CENTURY LEARNING
- The latest in educational technology for self-paced mastery of reading, writing and math skills.
- Deep Socratic discussions about heroes, history and self-governance to hone critical thinking skills and the ability to powerfully think, write and speak.
- Hands-on project based Quests to master the tools and skills needed to solve problems in the real world.
- Written promises and covenants that form a tightly bound community of individuals learning to form authentic friendships and honestly resolve interpersonal problems.
IS YOUR CHILD WILLING TO TAKE CONTROL OF THEIR EDUCATION, WORK HARD, AND CHALLENGE THEMSELVES?
SCHEDULE A SCHOOL TOUR TO BEGIN THE AUDITION PROCESS.
Work on difficult real-world Quests. Learn to calculate, write and think more deeply.
Students develop a positive self-identity surrounded by friends who will support them.
Find a calling
Learners explore their gifts and passions through apprenticeships which provide opportunity to develop real world skills.
- Field trips and guest presenters to extend learning beyond the classroom.
- Beautifully designed outdoor space including onsite mini farm with chickens.
- Junk food free campus with emphasis on health and wellness.
- Varied sports offering including track, tennis, rock climbing, and golf.
- No homework or frequent testing.
- Fun and enriching family activities to foster a strong school community.
OUR PHILOSOPHY OF LEARNING
We believe that:
Clear thinking leads to good decisions,
Good decisions lead to the right habits,
The right habits lead to character and
Character becomes destiny.
A LEARNER DRIVEN COMMUNITY
- Students create and sign a Contract of Promises describing how each individual will act and the consequences for violating community norms.
- Mentor teams encourage younger and older students to listen, affirm, set goals and hold each other accountable.
- “Learn to Be” badges that celebrate character and completing leadership challenges.
Our students experiment with entrepreneurs, scientists and community leaders, honing their most precious gifts and talents until they find a “calling” in life.
- I am on a hero’s journey.
- Even through extremely hard times, I will not give up because I have courage.
- I will be honest with myself and others about the way I am leading my journey.
- I will try my hardest to reach all of my goals and I will make new goals as well.
- I will be kind to, respect, and never give up on my fellow travelers. I will win with honor and lose with grace.
- I will try new things I have never done before, even things I might not be good at, to discover new talents and things that bring me joy.
- I will use, but take care of, the things around me that help me learn and live.
- I will encourage other people on their journeys and support their dreams, but make sure they want and need my help when I give it.
- I will take care of my body, my brain, and my heart by giving them the things they need to be healthy and grow such as exercise, information, challenges, and love.
- I will take responsibility for my education and seek out help when I truly need it.
- I will never give up on myself.
Young heroes celebrate the mastery of tools, skills and character by earning badges, assembling portfolios and taking part in public exhibitions.
1. Parents use badges to track academic progress in Core Skills like reading, writing, math and spelling and character development in “Learn to Be” Badges.
2. Electronic and hard copy Portfolios capture rough drafts, photos, video and other creative work.
3. Public exhibitions at the end of most Quests allow young heroes to present work to experts, customers or the public for a real world test.